Name:
Location: centerville, missouri

I started raising shetland sheep in 1999, it is an addiction...I have lots of favorite ewes, and some rams, and lots and lots of lambs. I was always excited about spotted sheep...so that's what I like to raise. I have lived as an artist, an antique dealer, a caregiver, an archeologist, and a shepherd. I have a patient loving husband, and three extraordinary children. I'm lucky enough to be living waaaay out in the woods of the Ozarks...with few neighbors, miles away, and lots of sheep. Three dogs, 9 cats, and molly the goose.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

lack of information

I admit it....I hate not learning something new all the time.
Oh, I can put my folders of family papers away for weeks, and concentrate on other things....like lambs.
But, when I have the time....I want to score information.
I was lucky before christmas this year. I found some references to a book covering a new-found branch of my family. "the Sanders Family of Grass Hills"...I found several references to the book on Rootsweb, and finally decided to get it. Of course it was out of print, and I had to pay real money....but I found it OK. Some times there is some sliver of information that will open a door in the brick wall. The brick wall is the term used for a family line that just stops. We always want to find a way around the brick wall.
My own research concerns a daughter in the Sanders family. We know she wasn't married when her father's will was filed....about 1780. And we know she remarried after having at least three Perkin's children, a second marriage in 1803. OK....I'm not working from notes, but my old head holds some information for a while. My problem with this brick wall....is that I can't seem to find the original husband, Constant Perkins. Rosie....that's one of my greats, was supposed to have traveled to Kentucky and joined up with others who made the trip through the Cumberland Gap with the Traveling Church...led by the Craigs. Now there is an interesting story. Traveling mostly on foot through a trail blazed by Boone...during the revolution....with hostile forces attacking the forts.
So far, I don't know if she married in Virginia, before leaving....or married in Kentucky...where she was living in the 1800's. There are plenty of Perkins. Many Virginia Perkins were named Constant or Constantine. Of course there are also Perkins who are Redbones, Indian Braves, Copper Indians, and Melungeon. Perkins, Purkins....seems to be a popular name in the frontier.
I'm guessing we will find a connection some day to the Virginia Perkins....I could hasten the connection along by finding a cousin to do a male DNA test. The Virginia Perkins are all showing DNA relationships.
This is a totally different way to find a way over your brick wall. YDna testing tests one male line. Mt DNA testing follows one female line. The Male DNA testing allows for a relationship that is closer in time. So, I may look for a male cousin to do a test for me to find if we are definitely related to the highly documented Virginia Perkins. In the meantime....I keep shaking the tree.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Talk about brick walls, my grandfather's name was John Anderson and he came from Sweden at some time...his son, my dad-was born in 1928, so obviously he had moved to America before that. We know very little, other than he was a mason by trade and lived in Milwaukee where my dad was born. My dad's birth cert. says his parents were married, but we have found out they weren't. Hmmmm.

Congrats on your ongoing search for answers.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home